For those who aren’t familiar, adaptogens are beneficial herbs that help to counter the effects of stressors on the body. Most of these adaptogenic herbs have been in use in traditional medicines for a very long time. Adaptogens like ashwagandha and rhodiola are some of the best known as stress and anxiety fighters, but there are a myriad of supplement formulas and herbal combinations shown to be effective. It’s all about narrowing down your choices to high quality formulas, then determining what works for your unique body chemistry!
Adaptogens for Stress and Anxiety: The Best Supplements for You
WellPath Zen Anxiety & Stress Relief Supplement
- Mood enhancing
- Sharpens focus
- Increases energy levels
WellPath’s Zen supplement is a great place to start if you’re interested in adaptogens for stress or anxiety.
This formula includes two powerhouse adaptogens commonly used to reduce stress and calm the mind–Ashwagandha and Rhodiola Rosea.
Zen also incorporates L-Theanine, Hawthorn, Bacopa, Lemon Balm, and Passion Flower, for additional calming and relaxation properties.
This is one of our favorites, and has rave reviews on Amazon!
Users report a significant decrease in anxiety, and feeling better able to deal with stressors, all without any drowsiness. Some have even been able to transition off of prescription meds after taking this supplement. Obviously, talk to your doctor before discontinuing any medication, but it bodes well that Zen can take the place of pharmaceuticals for some.
Happy Healthy Hippie’s Joy-Filled supplement contains 7 adaptogenic herbs that relax the body and mind, and boost your mood.
This targeted formula includes:
- RHODIOLA ROSEA – This golden flowering plant contains bioactive chemicals that support a healthy response to stress by decreasing cortisol in the body.
- ST. JOHN’S WORT – St. John’s Wort works to increase the availability of the chemicals serotonin and dopamine in the brain, which are crucial components in maintaining a positive state of mind.
- LEMON BALM LEAF – This plant increases the production of the neurotransmitter GABA, which helps to promote an overall calming effect.
- GINGKO BILOBA – The leaves from the Gingko Biloba tree contain a counteractive effect on adrenaline, which alleviates the mind and body of stress.
- ASHWAGANDHA – Known for its use in Ayurvedic healing, Ashwagandha has been used to reduce stress by supporting the adrenal function of the body.
- GOTU KOLA – Gotu Kola is regarded as one of the most rejuvenating herbs in Ayurvedic Medicine. It binds to the neurotransmitter GABA which increases its effectiveness and ultimately helps you maintain a stable and positive mood.
- ELEUTHERO – This plant contains active chemical components that helps the body to better utilize energy and improves circulation to the brain allowing for mental clarity.
This is an incredibly effective supplement, and it’s reflected in the reviews on Amazon: they’re chock full of happy users who report significant improvements in depression, less irritability and anxiety, and overall more mood stability.
Happy, Healthy Hippie Joy-Filled
- Supports a healthy response to stress by decreasing cortisol in the body
- Promotes an overall calming effect
- Helps the body to better utilize energy and improves circulation to the brain
Four Sigmatic Adaptogen Blend
- Calming blend
- Promotes balance and stress relief
- No need to take a pill, can be added to drinks and smoothies
Four Sigmatic’s Adaptogen Blend features eight stress fighting, mood balancing herbs.
The formula includes reishi, cordyceps, panax ginseng, ashwagandha extract, amla, schisandra, tulsi (holy basil). and gynostemma (1600mg total).
It’s a fantastic option if you don’t like taking pills. The powder can be mixed into smoothies or other beverages, and has a pleasantly earthy and gingery flavor.
The blend is also compatible with most diets, including vegan, paleo, keto, dairy free or gluten-free. There are no carriers, fillers, natural flavors or artificial flavors.
Users report increased energy, more stable mood, and even improvements to skin and immune system– this is the cool thing about adaptogens, you may find that they give you an assist with problems you weren’t even targeting!
If you find that you’re reactive to multi-component formulas, or simply prefer testing adaptogens individually, NutriONN’s Holy Basil Leaf is one to start with.
Holy Basil, or Tulsi Leaf, has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. It helps the body to adapt to physical and mental stress by supporting adrenal gland activity that is responsible for regulating hormones. It’s beneficial for anxiety, chronic stress and depression.
This adaptogen also helps reduce inflammation, supports memory and promotes good heart health.
Users report an increased sense of calm, smoother and better moods, and improved sleep.
NutriONN Holy Basil Leaf Extract
- Regulates hormones to fight anxiety, stress and depression
- Reduces inflammation & promotes heart health
Happy, Healthy Hippie Ashwagandha
- Supports adrenal health
- Defends against mental and physical stressors
- Boosts immunity
Like the Holy Basil supplement above, Happy, Healthy Hippie’s Ashwagandha supplement is perfect for those who’d like to try out ingredients one by one.
Ashwagandha is a powerful adaptogen, with many health benefits.
It supports adrenal health, providing more energy and contributing to improvement of overall mood.
It defends against mental and physical stressors by supporting normalized cortisol.
It boosts immunity support with powerful antioxidants.
And finally, it promotes balanced thyroid hormones.
Users reported mellowing of mood, reduced anxiety, improved PMS symptoms, less irritability, reduced inflammation, and clearer mind.
Hum Nutrition’s Big Chill supplement rounds out my suggestions for standalone adaptogens. Rhodiola Rosea is another major adaptogen often used for anxiety and depression.
It promotes calm, supports healthy energy levels, assists you mind and body in responding to stressful conditions, and improves focus.
Users report huge improvements in anxiety and ability to deal with stress…and even improvement of gastrointestinal symptoms!
Hum Nutrition Big Chill
- Promotes a calm mind
- Supports energy balance
- Fights anxiety & depression
Adaptogens are a group of dozens of herbs and mushrooms that can boost the body’s ability to deal with mental or physical stressors. These compounds are unique in that they adapt their function depending on the needs of your body– for example, being calming or providing energy depending on your body’s current balance.
There is debate as to how exactly adaptogens work. However, some studies suggest that adaptogens work at a cellular level, by balancing your body’s hormones.
The adaptogens most commonly used for stress and anxiety are ashwagandha, rhodiola, and tulsi. However, you may find that some adaptogens work better with your individual body chemistry than others. You can approach the search for an effective supplement by trying a multi-ingredient supplement with many adaptogens that may help your symptoms, or by testing adaptogens one by one.